Electric vehicles (EVs) are a growing market segment that includes more than the much publicized consumer vehicles. EVs extend to fleet vehicles like tow tugs at airports, terminal tractors and terminal trucks that move marine shipping containers and warehouse forklifts. The supporting equipment for EVs such as charging stations and battery management systems can be located in a wide range of locations and geographies. Outdoor electric vehicle charging stations can be exposed to rain, snow and ice, while the indoor charging stations usually need to be protected against dust and other foreign debris. Like many other electrical and electronic enclosures, Stockwell Elastomerics provides sealing solutions that meet or exceed regulatory requirements.
The UL 2202 standard titled “Standard for Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging System Equipment” is a leading standard for EV charging systems and references many mature UL specifications. UL 50, UL 50E, UL 94, UL 508 and UL 746C are referenced standards that Stockwell Elastomerics has worked with for years. Working with companies such as 3M, Rogers Corporation, Saint-Gobain and Wacker, Stockwell Elastomerics is able to supply high quality materials and custom gaskets to help meet UL 2202.
- UL 50 – Enclosures for Electrical Equipment, Non-Environmental Considerations
- UL 50E – Enclosures for Electrical Equipment, Environmental Considerations
- UL 94 – Standard for Tests for Flammability of Plastic Materials for Parts in Devices and Appliances
- UL 508 – Standard for Industrial Control Equipment
- UL 746C – Standard for Polymeric Materials – Use in Electrical Equipment Evaluations
Stockwell Elastomerics often uses the following materials to manufacture sealing solutions for electric vehicle charging stations:
- HT-800 flame-rated silicone foam (UL 94V-0, UL 50, UL 50E, UL 94V-0, UL 508, UL 157)
- R-10480S soft closed cell silicone sponge (UL 50E)
- EC-2130 flame-rated EMI gasket material (UL 94)
- PORON flame rated polyurethane foam (UL 94, UL 50, UL 50E, UL 508)
As with telecom infrastructure, electrical grid and other industries requiring outdoor enclosures to seal against environmental conditions, EV charging stations are used in similar harsh environments. Stockwell Elastomerics is a long time supplier of custom gasket solutionsand retrofit gaskets for off-the-shelf enclosures. Stockwell Elastomerics’ Applications Engineers are available to discuss which gasket material and manufacturing process are best for a specific application.
Contact Us for further assistance with custom gaskets and effective sealing solutions for electric vehicle charging station applications.
PORON® is a registered trademark of Rogers Corporation.